Chicken feet highly nutritious food (picture credit to Freepik)
In my country, eating chicken feet is very common but unfortunately my parents and my in laws have never cooked them. But among my friends, I always hear them talking about chicken feet and praising the benefits it has on joint parts. One day during the holidays, I decided to give it a try. I remembered asking my friend to accompany me because I was feeling very awkward on that day since I have never bought it in my life!
This day was the funniest of my life and I will never forget it! My children have refused to consume the chicken feet soup and my husband did consume the soup without the chicken feet but later when he got to know about it, he had made a lot of fuss! My younger son was so upset that he did not want me to kiss him or touch him. For him chicken feet is something despicable. On that day I keep laughing non stop but however this experience with chicken feet did not come to an end. I was wondering why lots of people all around the world love eating chicken feet that I was determined to find more on its benefits for the body.
I was dumbstruck to find that the chicken feet despite cheap have many health benefits that they are really worth consuming. I remembered on that day, I have taken an oath to use them again in my kitchen and make sure people in my surrounding know about their benefits. In the beginning I must say I was afraid to look at them because they look like a person hand with the nails.I recalled the first time using chicken feet, I had cut them into small pieces rather than eating them whole because I did not want to see the scary feet. But now it is alright. However, for my family the idea of eating the feet seem disgusting and already put off by them! Despite the dislike of chicken feet I continue making soup or broth for them for consumption and removing the feet aside as the soup has still its restorative value!
Picture showing chicken feet resembling a pair of hands ( credit to alibaba.com)
Chicken feet are commonly used in countries like Brazil, Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Italy, Jamaica, Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Philippines, South Africa, Thailand, Vietnam, America, Peru, Trinidad, Ukraine, Bolivia, India, South America, Russia, Romania, India etc
In some countries like Vietnam, China and Korea, chicken feet are considered as a delicacy and the women consume them because the collagen properties help them to stay young. The convalescence use it as a restorative soup where as the poor consume them because they are cheap and good for health.
Picture showing chicken feet ( credit to free images.com)
Chicken feet must not be underestimated because they seem cheap but they are very healthy. Chicken feet consists of bones, skin, cartilage and tendons but absence of muscles. And moreover they are rich in gelatinous collagen.
Nutrients in Chicken Feet
There are many nutrients from consuming chicken feet which are good for our body such as :
- vitamin A,D and B12
- omega 3 fatty acid
- omega 6 fatty acid
PREPARATION OF CHICKEN FEET FOR COOKING
- Wash the chicken feet thoroughly till they become clean
- Trim away the nails with a pair of scissors and wash thoroughly.
- Put them in boiling water for 2 to 3 mins
- After cooling, peel away the outer layer of yellow skin
The chicken feet are now ready to cook into delicious meal!
USES OF CHICKEN FEET : in soups, in broth, in curries, deep fried chicken feet, stews, chinese dim sum feet recipe etc
10 CHICKEN FEET HEALTH BENEFITS
- Chicken feet are full with protein, calcium, collagen and cartilage that are easily absorbed by the body. These are the essential nutrients required for good joint movement to minimize arthritis and joint pain. Chondroitin sulphates and glucosamine extracted from boiled down cartilage help reduce joint pain and inflammation.
- Rejuvenation of skin as the huge presence of collagen increase the elasticity of skin and thus preventing premature aging. One will have healthier skin and will looks younger with chicken feet consumption.
- Keeping the nails, joints and bone development healthy and strong because of the rich presence of collagen and calcium. Helps greatly with old people facing problems of decreased calcium and the cell having difficulties to regenerate. so consumption of chicken feet regularly strengthen the joint and the bones in old age.
- Boost the immune system . The presence of collagen and minerals such as zinc, copper, magnesium, calcium and phosphorus all contributing to keep the body healthy and to fight diseases
- Help to heal wounds since the chicken feet contain nutrients such as protein- collagen and calcium which help to regenerate nerves, muscles and bones of the human body.
- Maintain healthy and strong gum thanks to the presence of collagen, amino acid and other gelatin forming substances.Gums are the important part of the human body because all the food which gets in the body is processed by gums, teeth, and tongue. So, we need to get some nutrients that help maintain the gums. Consuming chicken feet helps us to do that because it contains a big amount of collagen, amino acid, and other gelatin-forming substances. Those substances will strengthen the never of gums.
- Lower blood pressure as the collagen protein has a function to lower the blood pressure. It also contains potassium thus helping people with hypertension to get better.
- Reduce stress. Besides that, chicken feet also produce several types of amino acids that are beneficial for the body. One type of amino acid is arginine which is beneficial to the body.
- Overcome rheumatism.To reduce the risk of increased rheumatic attacks can be done by consuming chicken feet. Inside chicken feet, there is a collagen which is a kind of connective tissue protein. This is what makes chicken feet sticky and thick when processed. Chicken feet contain good hydroxyapatite substances to strengthen the outer bone and prevent the threat of bone fragility. It also contains calcium which is good for rheumatism.
- Overcome digestive problem.Chicken feet can be a soup or broth that tastes very delicious. Even all the nutrients like protein, collagen, chondroitin, and glucosamine will also dissolve into the soup. These nutrients contribute to make digestion and the intestines healthier.
Though chicken feet are very healthy there are some cautions we have to know before consuming them.
Firstly the awareness of injection (growth hormone injection) given to chicken which many chicken breeders use to enable the chicken to grow bigger in a short time for their personal benefits. The injections are often done on either the wings or through the chicken feet and when we consume them, will move to our body .Unfortunately the growth hormones contain many chemicals and poisons that can cause cancer or other dangerous diseases. And our health can be affected while consuming them. So it is necessary to be wise while buying the chicken feet!
Secondly, we have to consider the hygiene of the chicken because the latter lives in a dirty environment and we cannot deny the fact that their feet can be contaminated with bacteria. That is why, we have to wash it thoroughly with water and can even add salt for cleaning. Then cut the nails and boil them for 2 to 3 mins before cooking them into delicious meal.
And lastly we have to take into consideration the cholesterol in chicken despite they are highly nutritious. Chicken feet has a dangerous cholesterol content for our body. Else one can suffer from high cholesterol or diseases from it. Therefore we must not over use it detriment to our health.
I find chicken feet an awesome food since the sole reason for consuming them is not only the fact that they are rich in nutrients but also for the numerous benefits they provide us. Chicken feet are also used to make nutritious food for dog and pet owners do not hesitate to buy them!
The collagen a fatty substance used to to make collagen pills or cosmetic products in order to stay young are extracted from chicken feet and they are very expensive compare to the raw chicken feet costing less than one dollar a pound!
I personally prefer to consume the chicken feet in soup or broth rather than taking pills. And this choice is personal because even as a child I dislike taking pills and I always have a preference for natural remedies!
Below is a small recipe using chicken feet cooked in pressure cooker where it become very soft and nice but we have to make sure we do not overcook it.
CHICKEN FEET SOUP RECIPE
1 teaspoon oil
1 cup of boiled lentils
4 chicken feet
1 medium onion cut into cube
1 teaspoon of garlic ginger paste
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon of cumin powder
1 cardamon pod
1 piece of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon pepper powder
2 to 3 curry leaves
- In a pressure cooker, put oil, add chopped onion, then chicken feet, pepper, salt, the cardamon, the cinnamon, the clove and some water.
- After one whistle , add the ginger garlic paste, the cooked lentils, the thyme, the turmeric, the coriander powder, cumin powder, curry leaves and 2 cups of water.
- Let it simmer for 15 to 2o mins. Then garnish with chopped spring onion and coriander leaves.
ENJOY YOUR MEAL!
Hope you enjoy the article and please feel free to share your comments below.